FLEXIBility & TRANSPARENcy
Founders appreciate our flexibility with respect to check sizes and board seats. They also respect our insistence on transparency and our commitment to people, planet, and purpose. In this spirit, all of our investment parameters are referenced below. Each portfolio investment along with each fund is subject to an impact rating based on the Global Impact Investing Rating System (GIIRS) that is administered by B Analytics.
STARTING WITH “WHY”
We back founders who have a vision of the world that does not yet exist, and an ability to communicate the value of that vision clearly and resolutely.
Our deal flow and fund performance are optimized by incentivizing our managers and partners to collaborate and engage in lateral thinking, relentlessly pursuing better ways of doing business.
We welcome and generally expect co-investments from symbiotic partners. Occasionally we’re also able to utilize our collective experience to identify and cultivate a social-impact element that may be different from occasionally more impactful than the founders’ original concept.
Our current fund will be capped at $50M, with an estimated $20M to be deployed between 3Q2017 and 2Q2018, and the remainder by 2Q2019.
The portfolio will likely consist of 20 to 25 companies, with a minimum of $400,000 and maximum of $4,000,000 committed to any one company.
WHAT DO WE LOOK FOR IN A PORTFOLIO COMPANY?
1. Measurable social or environmental impacts flowing from the company's product or service as well as its operations.
2. A target market large enough to support eventual development of an enterprise with at least $50M in annual revenue.
3. Trade secrets, patent positions, or operational innovations that enable the company to achieve a meaningful competitive advantage.
4. A strong management team already in place or easily put into place that is coachable and willing to accept guidance from the MD’s, investors, and the portfolio company’s Board.
5. Multiple exit opportunities — i.e., subsequent financing, merger or acquisition, or eventual IPO.